Pages

Monday 30 January 2012

Practising Part 3: Getting a plan

As discussed in the first part of this series, practising music is a PROCESS-oriented activity. This implies that one must dedicate a significant amount of time and effort consistently OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME in order to see real results (or progress).

One of the major issues that I have had trouble addressing throughout my musical journey has been that there are so many facets to music that I feel need to be practised in order to be a great musician that it becomes hard to practice any of them enough to feel like I am making a dent. The temptation is to focus fully on the weakest area of my playing (or the thing I need to have down for my next big event) until I have it sorted. This approach works well, because you do get that item down quickly. The problem is that EVERY OTHER AREA OF YOUR PLAYING SUFFERS while you do this.

In order to combat this imbalance in my practice-method I decided to come up with a list of all of the different things I need to work on consistently and then divide my minimum daily practice time between them.

My list has 12 elements on it (in no specific order):
1. Listening (to music that inspires me)
2. Meditating (to clear out the mental junk that accumulates)
3. Reading (a piece of music I have never seen before - NOT practising it, just reading it with my bass)
4. Piano (every musician should be functional on piano)
5. Jamming (having fun with music with no agenda)
6. Walking bassline construction
7. Chords and arpeggios
8. Learning melodies to standard tunes
9. Improvising (usually on a standard or a particular set of chords I'm pulling apart to understand)
10. Composing
11. Transcription (learning other peoples ideas BY EAR)
12. Technique/Mechanical maintenance

I give some of these things more time than others, but I have divided them in such a way that I know I'm getting to everything regularly enough to maintain balance in my musicianship.

YOUR HOMEWORK: Write your list of things to practice, then divide your minimum daily practice time by the number of items on your list, then get out your stopwatch and practice each item for the length of time allocated to it. If you find it too short then split the items over two days so you cover the whole list in 2 sessions.

One of the benefits of this way of practising is that it's almost impossible to get bored, because before you know it it's time to get onto the next item on the list. But although it feels like you're not doing much on each item over the course of a year you are spending significant amounts of time on each. For example, if you do each thing for 20 minutes every 2 days by the end of a year you have spent 3640-ish minutes on it... That's over 60 hours - more than enough to make big progress... So get going!

Take care
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment