Pages

Thursday 26 January 2012

Practising Part 2: Environmental factors

Today's post on practising is about something that one almost never considers when thinking about how to practice well, but it impacts on your efficiency and effectiveness perhaps more than anything else... it is the ENVIRONMENT in which you practice.

As soon as you begin to think about it it makes total sense. Being comfortable, focussed and organised would obviously make a huge difference to how well you use your time, and when time is short you can't afford to waste some of it because you are fighting against external distractions. The goal here is to create an uninterrupted 'flow' of productivity.

My approach to achieving a productive practice space is to make sure the place where I will practice is (fairly) tidy, quiet (this includes the 'no cellphone while practising' rule, and the 'don't talk to me when I'm practising' rule), the lighting-level is appropriate, and that everything I need for my particular tasks is at arm's reach so I don't have to scratch around in drawers to find the right material once I'm in my 'flow'. I also like to take something to drink into my room with me, especially if it's a hot day, as proper hydration is vital for maximum brain-function. Wearing comfortable clothing also helps greatly in feeling at ease.

I find that if I can get all of these things right before I begin my practice time is less frustrating as I am able to concentrate fully on what I am doing for the full time that I have scheduled - and that is really the goal of practising well.

Until next time, take care and practice well!

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment