Pages

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Practising Part 1: Answering the most asked questions

In my experience talking about practising with people only becomes beneficial once they have had 2 questions answered. Until then, these questions (and the answers they think they will get) plague them to the point where they don't REALLY listen to what's being said. So I thought I'd get those out of the way first...

1. How much and how often should I practice?

In one line: As much and as often as you can... I realise that this is not the most satisfying answer, but it's the truth. I have a different set of responsibilities in life than you, and so I can't prescribe to you that x number of hours per day is what you should get in. What I can tell you with confidence is that if you REALLY LOVE MUSIC and you believe you need it in your life you will desire to get better at it every day and you will find a way to get to it - even if only for 5 minutes.

Remember that CONSISTENCY is a major key to getting better at any skill. That means that 10 minutes per day EVERY DAY is better than one 2 hour session once per week.

As a rule I try to play my instrument every day, as much as my schedule allows. Do I do it every day of the year? No. But I do it MOST days because I try to do it every day. That's real life.

2. What should I practice?

It's easy to become overwhelmed by all of the information and opinions out there on what to practice and the quickest way to get better. To simplify it for you, here's the truth: If you don't know the basics, then that's what you should be practising - knowing your notes, scales, chord-theory, basic technique, reading and rhythm studies. Once you have those down fairly well you need to start making decisions about where you are headed in music, as there is simply not enough time to become great at everything all at once. What is your goal? Do you want to be a studio pro? A live performer? A teacher? What do your favourite players do that you love? What music moves you deep down? The answers to these questions should guide your practice routine. If you decide you want to play jazz you need to find the process (from a good teacher) for learning that language. If you want to be a rock player start listening to rock and jamming along. Whatever the answers, find the process that will get you to where you think you are going, and then commit to it.

Ok. Now that those two issues are out of the way I can get more specific with my next post.

Parting tip: If you feel uninspired to practice just listen to your favourite musician play beautiful music for 5 minutes. It'll turn your attitude around.

Take care!
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment